A Guide to Exercising During Your 3rd Trimester 0
During the 3rd trimester of pregnancy, a pregnant woman might encounter mixed emotions. If you are pregnant, then expect this period to let you experience exhaustion due to the uncomfortable and somewhat painful symptoms of pregnancy, excitement since you can’t seem to wait for your little angel to finally come out, and fear of what might happen to you once you are already in labor.
Also, please note that the exercises that you will be performing during the third trimester are much more limited than those of the first trimester as well as the second trimester. This is very important.
Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to efficiently handle your different emotions especially those that seem to bother you all at once. Proper exercising during 3rd trimester is one of these ways since regular physical activities are guaranteed to help produce lots of social and health benefits to pregnant women and effectively manage pregnancy symptoms.
Unless you are dealing with pregnancy complications, it is best for you to perform physical activities especially during the last 3 months. Just make sure that you consult first with your healthcare professional, physiotherapist or doctor about your desire to start a new exercise routine. Keeping in mind the following helpful tips can also guarantee your safety:
1. Keep yourself hydrated. Proper hydration is crucial to obtaining great results from exercising during 3rd trimester of pregnancy. It is advisable for you to take breaks after approximately twenty minutes of doing exercises to drink water. Make sure that you drink more than enough water to keep your body working. Remember that dehydration is one of the major causes of early and complicated labor. If you frequently feel thirsty, then it is best for you to increase your intake of water since excessive thirst is a major sign of dehydration.
2. Aim for thirty to sixty minutes of cardio training daily. Walking is one of the best cardio exercises for pregnant women so it is best if you go out to walk every once in a while, preferably a few minutes every day. It is also advisable for you to aim for a minimum of three hours of cardio training each week to garner more benefits.
3. Perform regular exercises especially if some parts of your body start to swell. Swelling in some body areas such as your feet, ankles and legs is common during pregnancy especially if you have already reached the last two months. By doing regular exercises, it would be easier for you to prevent varicose veins and swollen body parts. Exercises that help in frequently elevating your feet can help. You should also prevent standing up for longer periods.
4. Engage your pelvic floor in your daily exercises. This means that you should consider engaging your pelvic floor muscles even when performing simple activities such as bending down to pick up something, climbing upstairs or standing up after being in a seated position. Making these modifications to your daily activities can really improve the strength and health of your pelvic floor. This is a huge help in preventing stress incontinence while also building strong pelvic floor muscles capable of supporting the weight of the baby in your womb.
5. Avoid crunching motion exercises. You have to remember this tip when exercising during 3rd trimester to prevent any complications. Focus on performing transverse, kegel and deep core abdominal activation instead. Rotational exercises like forward roles and squats with rotation are among your best options.